- 2 medium Italian eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of The Chubby Vegetarian’s Signature Dry Rub
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, warmed
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: chipotle powder, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, garlic powder, salt, ground cumin, black pepper, brown sugar, dried thyme, dried oregano, and ground ancho chili
Preheat your outdoor grill to high. Prepare the eggplant by slicing each in half longways, then cut slits in the flesh of the eggplant every 1/4 inch; cut through most of the flesh, but not the skin.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sesame oil, and vinegar. Drizzle each eggplant half with the oil and vinegar mixture. Liberally apply The Chubby Vegetarian’s Signature Dry Rub to each eggplant.
Place eggplant skin-side-down on the hot grill and close the lid for 20 minutes. Remove eggplant and tent with foil. Set aside and allow it to cool so that you’re able to handle it safely.
While you’re waiting for the eggplant to cool, prepare the salad by tossing together the romaine, carrot, cabbage, cucumber, and tomatoes. Prepare the Yogurt Ranch Dressing according to the recipe.
Now, using your hands, pull as much of the eggplant flesh away from the skin; keep the large strands intact. Discard the skin. Toss the eggplant with the warm BBQ sauce. Divide the salad among two plates (it’s a big salad!) and top each salad with a heap of BBQ eggplant. Include the Yogurt Ranch Dressing on the side.
For the Dressing:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill, chives, parsley, and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (Makes 3/4 cup of dressing.)
For the Dry Rub: Combine all of the dry spices and sugar and store in an airtight container for up to six months.